480g Matthews Strong White flour
1 tbs fresh yeast
1 tsp salt
2 tbs very soft butter or olive oil
250 -300 ml warm water
1. Mix yeast into water and leave for 5 minutes, stir gently.
2. Mix salt and flour together, make a well and add yeasted water, oil, and ¾ of the water.
3. Stir and add any extra water as needed to form a firm, moist dough.
4. Knead for 5-10 minutes by hand or with dough hook in electric mixer until smooth and elastic
5. Leave to rise in an oiled bowl for approx 30mins in warm place until doubled in size, knock back and leave for another 10 minutes.
6. Divide the dough and roll out to approx 6 inches across and ½ inch thick. If the dough resists rolling out leave to rest for another 15-20 minutes.
7. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place rolls in middle of oven and bake for around 8 minutes or until set and barely coloured.
8. Remove from oven and allow to cool before slicing lengthwise along one side. Flatten and grill the sandwiches until hot throughout and well marked from the grill.
We hope that you enjoy making some of the recipes using FWP Matthews Flour. If you would like to submit your results or pictures of your bake then please email them to us – you may even get them onto the Matthews website for other bakers & cooks to see!
FWP Matthews Ltd
Shipton under Wychwood
Tel 01993 830 342
Fax 01993 831 615
VAT No. GB 194 637 624
Calls may be recorded for training and monitoring purposes.
Terms and conditions
FWP Matthews Ltd is one of the leading independent flour millers in the UK for conventional and organic flour.
The Matthews Cotswold flour mill is owned and run by Father and Son team Paul Matthews and Bertie Matthews the great, great and great*3 grandsons of the founder Frederick William Powell Matthews steeped in tradition, FWP Matthews Ltd represents an important part of the local industrial heritage.
Situated on the edge of the beautiful Cotswold hills in the village of Shipton under Wychwood this traditional mill produces a wide range of quality natural and conventional flours. We still use the original building that was completed in 1912.
Lovely to bake with @CotswoldFlour today - from the next village to where we lived for a year. We can’t visit at present, but being able to enjoy local grain will be the next best thing
@KMckilligan @CotswoldFlour I’ve got a 16 kilo bag of Cotswold crunch on the go, I’m also working through 25 kilo of white flour which I bought some time ago fortunately.
These two are a recent a bake, one is half Cotswold with Caraway seeds, the other is white.
No other bread is like it, it’s heaven.
©2020 FWP Matthews Ltd | VAT NO. GB 194 637 624 | Website Designed & Maintained by Studio Habgood