480g Matthews Strong White flour
1 tbs fresh yeast
1 tsp salt
2 tbs very soft butter or olive oil
250 -300 ml warm water
1. Mix yeast into water and leave for 5 minutes, stir gently.
2. Mix salt and flour together, make a well and add yeasted water, oil, and ¾ of the water.
3. Stir and add any extra water as needed to form a firm, moist dough.
4. Knead for 5-10 minutes by hand or with dough hook in electric mixer until smooth and elastic
5. Leave to rise in an oiled bowl for approx 30mins in warm place until doubled in size, knock back and leave for another 10 minutes.
6. Divide the dough and roll out to approx 6 inches across and ½ inch thick. If the dough resists rolling out leave to rest for another 15-20 minutes.
7. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place rolls in middle of oven and bake for around 8 minutes or until set and barely coloured.
8. Remove from oven and allow to cool before slicing lengthwise along one side. Flatten and grill the sandwiches until hot throughout and well marked from the grill.
We hope that you enjoy making some of the recipes using FWP Matthews Flour. If you would like to submit your results or pictures of your bake then please email them to us – you may even get them onto the Matthews website for other bakers & cooks to see!
FWP Matthews Ltd
Shipton under Wychwood
Tel 01993 830 342
Fax 01993 831 615
VAT No. GB 194 637 624
Calls may be recorded for training and monitoring purposes.
Terms and conditions
With a milling legacy spanning eight generations, Matthews Cotswold Flour is one of the UK’s oldest family-run flour mills. Trading grain and milling flour in the heart of the Cotswolds since the 1800s, we believe passionately that our local partnerships, traditional methods and premium grains make for better baking.
We are proud to offer premium quality Organic and Stoneground Wholegrain flour, using grain from local farmers and time-honoured milling techniques.
The Matthews Cotswold Flour story began when the original FWP Matthews built a mill on the river Evenlode in 1912. You’ll find us working here to this day, overlooking the picturesque Cotswold village of Shipton-Under-Wychwood.
A beautiful artichoke & sun-dried cherry tomato sourdough focaccia by @paulinescholey, all ready for the oven!
Have you tried making sourdough focaccia?
Competition Time! All you need to do is share your favourite baking recipes to win 10 Bags of Flour & a cookbook! Note - There will be 3 winners! 🙌 Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
Recipe name, Ingredients, Method and Photos. Good Luck!
©2020 FWP Matthews Ltd | VAT NO. GB 194 637 624 | Website Designed & Maintained by Studio Habgood