• 12 fl oz/350ml semi-skimmed milk, warmed but not boiling
• 1 lb/450g all purpose or plain flour
• 5g dried yeast
• 2 tsp sugar
• 12 fl oz/350ml warm water (approx)
• 1 tsp Salt
• 1tsp baking powder
• Vegetable oil for cooking
1. Whisk together the milk, flour, yeast and sugar. Once combined add half the water and beat into the batter, continue to add more water until the batter is thick and smooth. Stop adding water once it reaches the consistency of thick cream. Cover with cling film and leave in a warm draft free place until foaming – about 1, up to 2 hours.
2. Whisk the salt and baking powder into the batter then heat a heavy based frying pan on the stove to hot but not smoking.
3. Dampen kitchen paper with a little oil and grease the base of the pan and a crumpet (or pastry) rings measuring 3″x 1 ½” (8 X 3.75cm) approx. If you don’t have any pastry or crumpet rings then use a small, washed food can to the same measurements.
4. Place one ring in the heated pan, add enough batter to fill just below the top of the ring. Cook for five minutes when there should be many tiny holes on the surface and the crumpet is setting. Flip the crumpet over and cook for another two – three minutes.
5. Repeat with the remaining batter until used up. Rest the crumpets on a wire rack until cool and reheat in a toaster or under the grill before serving. Serve with lots of butter and/or jam.
NOTE: If the batter seeps from under the ring it is too thin, whisk in more flour. If the crumpet is heavy and without holes, the batter is too thick, add more water.
We hope that you enjoy making some of the recipes using FWP Matthews Flour. If you would like to submit your results or pictures of your bake then please email them to us – you may even get them onto the Matthews website for other bakers & cooks to see!
FWP Matthews Ltd
Shipton under Wychwood
Tel 01993 830 342
Fax 01993 831 615
VAT No. GB 194 637 624
Calls may be recorded for training and monitoring purposes.
Terms and conditions
FWP Matthews Ltd is one of the leading independent flour millers in the UK for conventional and organic flour.
The Matthews Cotswold flour mill is owned and run by Father and Son team Paul Matthews and Bertie Matthews the great, great and great*3 grandsons of the founder Frederick William Powell Matthews steeped in tradition, FWP Matthews Ltd represents an important part of the local industrial heritage.
Situated on the edge of the beautiful Cotswold hills in the village of Shipton under Wychwood this traditional mill produces a wide range of quality natural and conventional flours. We still use the original building that was completed in 1912.
Lovely to bake with @CotswoldFlour today - from the next village to where we lived for a year. We can’t visit at present, but being able to enjoy local grain will be the next best thing
@KMckilligan @CotswoldFlour I’ve got a 16 kilo bag of Cotswold crunch on the go, I’m also working through 25 kilo of white flour which I bought some time ago fortunately.
These two are a recent a bake, one is half Cotswold with Caraway seeds, the other is white.
No other bread is like it, it’s heaven.
©2020 FWP Matthews Ltd | VAT NO. GB 194 637 624 | Website Designed & Maintained by Studio Habgood