• 12 fl oz/350ml semi-skimmed milk, warmed but not boiling
• 1 lb/450g all purpose or plain flour
• 5g dried yeast
• 2 tsp sugar
• 12 fl oz/350ml warm water (approx)
• 1 tsp Salt
• 1tsp baking powder
• Vegetable oil for cooking
1. Whisk together the milk, flour, yeast and sugar. Once combined add half the water and beat into the batter, continue to add more water until the batter is thick and smooth. Stop adding water once it reaches the consistency of thick cream. Cover with cling film and leave in a warm draft free place until foaming – about 1, up to 2 hours.
2. Whisk the salt and baking powder into the batter then heat a heavy based frying pan on the stove to hot but not smoking.
3. Dampen kitchen paper with a little oil and grease the base of the pan and a crumpet (or pastry) rings measuring 3″x 1 ½” (8 X 3.75cm) approx. If you don’t have any pastry or crumpet rings then use a small, washed food can to the same measurements.
4. Place one ring in the heated pan, add enough batter to fill just below the top of the ring. Cook for five minutes when there should be many tiny holes on the surface and the crumpet is setting. Flip the crumpet over and cook for another two – three minutes.
5. Repeat with the remaining batter until used up. Rest the crumpets on a wire rack until cool and reheat in a toaster or under the grill before serving. Serve with lots of butter and/or jam.
NOTE: If the batter seeps from under the ring it is too thin, whisk in more flour. If the crumpet is heavy and without holes, the batter is too thick, add more water.
We hope that you enjoy making some of the recipes using FWP Matthews Flour. If you would like to submit your results or pictures of your bake then please email them to us – you may even get them onto the Matthews website for other bakers & cooks to see!
FWP Matthews Ltd
Shipton under Wychwood
Tel 01993 830 342
Fax 01993 831 615
VAT No. GB 194 637 624
Calls may be recorded for training and monitoring purposes.
Terms and conditions
With a milling legacy spanning eight generations, Matthews Cotswold Flour is one of the UK’s oldest family-run flour mills. Trading grain and milling flour in the heart of the Cotswolds since the 1800s, we believe passionately that our local partnerships, traditional methods and premium grains make for better baking.
We are proud to offer premium quality Organic and Stoneground Wholegrain flour, using grain from local farmers and time-honoured milling techniques.
The Matthews Cotswold Flour story began when the original FWP Matthews built a mill on the river Evenlode in 1912. You’ll find us working here to this day, overlooking the picturesque Cotswold village of Shipton-Under-Wychwood.
We are immensely grateful for all our local farming partners, who have been with us for generations. In the next few weeks Paul Matthews will be sharing the harvest report!
Share your Local Harvet with us by tagging #cotswoldharvest 🙌👌
Just so I don’t run short, nephews partner jut been shopping at @Tesco and she got me a few back up bags of @CotswoldFlour Strong White #Bread flour 😃🍞🥖
©2020 FWP Matthews Ltd | VAT NO. GB 194 637 624 | Website Designed & Maintained by Studio Habgood